Tumblelog by Soup.io
Newer posts are loading.
You are at the newest post.
Click here to check if anything new just came in.
don07x7ame

Hotels

Llandudno inherited its name from the 6th century saint, Tudno or Dudno, who brought Christianity to the region: his cell on Great Orme, a hidden cave, still exists; Llan means parish, or 'church of'. A church on Great Orme – Orme incidentally is a Viking word meaning serpent - dedicated to Tudno was erected in the 12th century, and extended in the 15th, and is still in use today. In 1284 Edward I gifted the Bishop of Bangor the Manor of Gogarth, governing several settlements in the district where Llandudno eventually grew; the gift was out of appreciation for the bishop's aid in making Edward's son the first English Prince of Wales. During medieval times the district was of little note, the various villages performing fishing and agricultural activities, a state of affairs that persisted until the 19th century, though with the restarted mines giving the place some certain significance in the Industrial Revolution . This all shifted in the middle of the 19th century. In 1848 the local landowner, Lord Mostyn, was presented with visionary plans for a resort on the site by Liverpool architect Owen Williams. The 1849 Act of Enclosure granted the Mostyn family the authority required to change the area with the Great Orme at one end and Little Orme at the other. The layout of the new town was settled in that same year. In 1857 an architect and gentleman, George Felton, took up the project, his hand significantly seen in the architecture in Llandudno's centre. The effort in constructing the resort, and catering for its visitors, came at the right moment, as in 1850 the copper mines were closed, no longer economically salvageable. Llandudno is a creation of the Railway Age. In 1848 the Chester – Holyhead line began, winding near the town that was growing out of three older settlements. Visitors from North West England could now reach the town with ease; in 1858 communications were further increased by the branch from that line directly into the town. The subsequent history of Llandudno is the tale of its growth as a seaside resort. A pier opened in 1858, though it was soon damaged in a gigantic storm. Another replaced it in 1875, and is still to be visited today. In 1878 Marine Drive opened; nine years later the Mostyn family gave the town a disused quarry changed into gardens named Happy Valley; in 1902 the Grand Hotel opened, another sign of the vision the Mostyns had of Llandudno as an esteemed destination. Llandudno's transport infrastructure was added to through the 20th century. In 1902 the Great Orme Tramway was opened, making it almost effortless to reach the 678' summit. The Llandudno and Colwyn Bay Electric Railway, a tram service amidst the town, came after in 1936, though unfortunately it closed in 1963; 1972 accompanied the opening of a cabin lift to the summit of the grand headland. The town today is among the largest resorts in Wales. Look for hotels in llandudno, still with an elegant air. That reputation was improved with the construction of the North Wales Theatre in the 21st century. This building on the promenade, next to hotels llandudno, gives a venue for musicals, concerts and plays, and is often the port of call for the Welsh National Opera.
Tags: Hotels

Don't be the product, buy the product!

Schweinderl